What kind of homeschooler are you?

What kind of homeschooler are you?

Has this question ever been asked of you?

I have seen some moms almost freeze on the spot because they are eclectic homeschoolers, and have no idea how to classify their schooling.  I have also seen moms who are so confident in their answers, that they have almost persuaded me to consider switching their style!

Generally speaking, there are only a few answers people are looking for when they ask that.  It may be that they know nothing of homeschooling methods, and are asking if an online school, private umbrella school, or other public school alternative is being used.  They may wonder if you do online work, book work, or you unschool.  I think usually, other homeschooling mothers will wonder which method you generally identify with.  There are many methods including (but not limited to) Traditional, Classical, Charlote Mason, Montessouri, Waldorf, Thomas Jefferson, Unit Study, Unschooling, and Eclectic.  Each method works for different families, and I am so thankful we have the freedom to choose which is best.

This is normal for homeschoolers, right?

I consider our homeschool to be eclectic.  Actually, it is heavily Charlotte Mason based and deeply Waldorf inspired with a sprinkling of traditional on top.  What does that look like?  Books, nature, art, festivals, and rhythm.  We begin our days with a morning basket where we learn about artists and composers, read or work on logic lessons, read aloud books pertaining to our history lesson, spelling and vocabulary, history lesson, and daily science.  We then move on to Math, Language Arts, History projects, and either Science, Art, or Music.  I may teach in lesson blocks that are beautifully illustrated in lesson books with watercolor or beeswax crayon one month and use a workbook the next.  We may each work on different hands-on projects for one topic, and write our own reports (yes, even I participate in learning) for the next.  I have 4 children who learn in very different ways, and I really try to make sure we experience learning in ways that help them really experience learning.  That means we not only need to use a variety of curricula, but also a mixture of methods.  Being able to let go of the restraints of a singular method has allowed me to create homeschooling environment that we are beginning to thrive in.  I am learning how to make the curriculum work for us rather than having us work for the curriculum.


I can't wait to begin our upcoming year.  I feel like the last decade has led us to what could potentially be a year of incredible growth.  I hope you join me as I document our homeschool life.

Blessings,
Blu

Comments